Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Good day to end the crazy week.

On Saturday I had the privilege to attend and pin my friend Abby as she graduated with her BSN. It has been the first time that any of my friends or co-workers have asked me to pin them.
From the time Abby and I first me we were friends. She eventually started calling me work mom. Although she moved to Provo two years before me we stayed in touch. I was truly honored that she asked me to pin her. Here is a little history in the nurse pinning.


                                      In the know: The history and importance of the pinning ceremony

Stressed Out Nurses Weekly, May 10, 2010

The pinning ceremony is a time-honored nursing school tradition. Often more personally meaningful than the graduation ceremony, it signifies your official initiation into the brotherhood and sisterhood of nurses. The ceremony is rich with symbolism. The history of this right of passage can be traced all the way back to the Crusades of the 12th century. During this time, the Knights of the Order of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist tended to injured and infirm Crusaders. When new monks were initiated into the order, they vowed to serve these sick soldiers in a ceremony where each monk was given a Maltese cross, the first badges given to those who nurse.
The modern ceremony dates back to the 1860s, when Florence Nightingale was awarded the Red Cross of St. George in recognition for her tireless service to the injured during the Crimean War. To share the honor, she in turn presented a medal of excellence to her brightest graduates. By 1916, the practice of pinning new graduates was standard throughout the U.S.


 It was fun seeing Abby we had not had the opportunity to catch up since I moved to Provo.  After receiving her diploma for graduation, the pinning ceremony began  I was so proud.  After the pinning the graduate nurses and all RNs recited the Nightingale pledge it goes as follows.
Nightingale Pledge, 1893

I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practise my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping, and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavour to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.
This was a fun and great way to kick off nurses week.









No comments:

Post a Comment